With a prominent location at the foot of Fort Canning hill the Museum of Singapore has a wealth of heritage significance. The nineteenth century colonial style building, purpose built as a library and museum in 1887 underwent major restoration and expansion nearly one hundred and twenty years later. The brief for the landscape demanded a sophisticated design response befitting its place at the cultural heart of the city.
We opened up the much loved building frontage with a landscape of elegant contemporary open lawns banded in low horizontal terraces contrasting the vertical historic Victorian façade. Now framed with groves of light canopy Caesalpinia trees the frontage allows a wide-angle view and has become the public gathering and arts event venue as envisaged. Important huge Angsana trees were also conserved and woven into the surrounding gardens and courts which are linked to the surrounding SMU campus landscape and Stamford Green on Fort Canning.